Thursday, July 10, 2014

Tiana the Brood Hen?

For three days now this chicken, Tiana, has been sitting on her eggs.  I carefully moved her to the brooding side of the chicken coop on 7/7/14 (sounds lucky, huh?).  At that time I moved her with four eggs.  On 7/9/14 I gave her four more eggs since she seemed to be sitting on the nest most of the time.  She's not getting up for much.  She didn't even eat the treats (bread pieces) that I gave her for a couple of days.  I've been watching and waiting and wanting a brood hen.  Could this be the one?  I guess we'll see in about 21 or so days.



 
I tried to select the average sized eggs and the less pointy ones.  Most of the brown ones are less pointy.  A friend told me that the "rounder" eggs are female.  We'll see what happens.

 
Here she is stretching her legs to get a drink.  You can also see where the other chickens can see her in the background (behind the screen.)  You can also see all her feed in the trough.  She's barely touching it.  She didn't eat all of her bread or kale either.  Come on, Tiana.  You can do it!


1 comment:

Julianne said...

Its so interesting to watch this...do you have a rooster?