Monday, November 2, 2015

More New Chicks

My good friend's son decided to get out of the chicken business.  These two spring chicks needed a new home.  They were hatched in the spring of 2015.  I felt they were in good health.  I just mixed them in to see what would happen.  So far they are just finding their way into the pecking order of the flock.  Here they are -- no names yet...



The Red Sex Link chicken (on top) fits in with my chickens so much (by looks) that I put an orange band on its leg.  The brown Easter Egger (on bottom) really sticks out.  It's neck feathers are really pretty.  BUT it doesn't feel like it is fitting in.

Last night when I went to put the chickens in for the night I couldn't find the brown one.  I asked my husband who was playing with his chain saw and fire nearby to help.  He found it about eight feet up in a tree!  My chickens don't do that.  This chicken had to do that to survive.  I left it in the tree last night hoping it was safe from most predators (except from owls).  I was afraid that if I shook it out of the tree that I would not be able to catch it and put it back in.  We'll see what happens in the morning when it's time to feed them if it comes in.  I'm assuming it can fly out of the garden fence even if I catch it.  I'm not going to clip its wings.  It needs that super power for defense.  Wonder where it will lay its eggs???

1 comment:

Needled Mom said...

It's hard to introduce new ones to the mix. I hope it doesn't lay the eggs all the way up in the tree!!! ;-)