Saturday, February 11, 2017

RSC17 -- Aqua and Such

Didn't have much time today.  Had to go to the ER to get checked out.  I kinda diagnosed myself before I got there, but I have Bells Palsy.  This is a condition that just "happens" in which half of your face has temporary paralysis.  I was a little dizzy this morning.  My husband immediately wanted me to go to the ER and I did. 

The first place (Stat Care) sent me to the hospital for a cat scan.  The ER doctor at the hospital said it was Classic Bells Palsy.  My blood pressure went from 195/91 back to it's normal 140/79.  I wasn't dizzy any longer.  They felt the rise in blood pressure could have been the excitement of the numbness in my mouth hoping I didn't have a stroke.

I praise God it is only Bells Palsy.  It's just a temporary thing (hopefully).  My smile is crooked... I have to be careful what I eat and chew because I can't coordinate my lounge and mouth.  I can't raise my eyebrows. 

I did manage to see if my skills still worked.  I had a little trouble hand sewing because my vision is a little off.  I sewed these two blocks in the color of the month:

 
Tune in later this week for a fabulous finish to see what they become.  I only need these two blocks for the project.  Maybe you'll want to make one too. :)


Here's a picture of my with my best current smile.  See how the right side of my face won't raise up?  One side of my cheek is swollen a little.  A good way to tell if you have Bells Palsy (hopefully you go to get checked out by a professional...) is to raise your eyebrows.  They said that if I could raise my eyebrows (even if I could not raise them evenly) it most likely isn't a stroke.  I cannot close my right eye right away.  To safeguard me from scratching a dry eye in my sleep I will be putting drops in my eye and taping it shut with gauze and an eye patch.  Arrrrhhh!  Just like a pirate, mate.  I guess nerve #7 in my face is either inflamed or blocked or something like that.

 
The photo is quite dark.  I wasn't in a photo-shooting mood.  (I'm 51, by the way.)
 
Linking up with Angela at SoScrappy for Scrap Happy Saturday.
 
grab button for SoScrappy

6 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Hope the episode doesn't last long and you're back to quilting with a two-sided smile!

Angie said...

Hope you're back to 110% soon!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! That's dedication... quilting in the midst of a health crisis! Looking forward to seeing a full smile on your face again and knowing what you are up to with those 2 blocks that you made. Take care!!

Rachel said...

Goodness! Hope you feel better soon! Pretty colors!

Cathy said...

I hope that you get over this episode quickly and completely. The NERVE of Nerve #7!! Cute string/strip blocks, though. But don`t rush to finish your project; we’ll be here when you do. Take care.

Deb A said...

Oh no! I had that happen right after Thanksgiving a few years ago and was very lucky to have a full recovery in a month. If I remember - the meds helped a lot. no hot liquids, and drinking from a straw with lots of sleep and do use the eye patch. I think I could not do tv, reading or computer as it hurt my eye so lots of resting. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery and a helpful household to take care of everything for you so you can recover. Hugs to you.